Monday, April 15, 2013

Incredible, Inspiring India

If you didn't know, there is this amazing program called Kennedy-Lugar YES Abroad. What this program does is help bridge the distance between countries with significant Muslim populations and the U.S. The U.S Department of State pays for full scholarships to go to one of the countries selected. The twist in this lovely story? Only sixty-five or so kids in the entire U.S. get chosen.

So, we've got our exciting premise; the first challenge one must overcome. Time for the protagonist to begin this journey.

The adventure begins during the end Christmas break. Studying abroad has always been my interest, my love, and my secret obsession. Every culture fascinates me, intrigues me to the point of an unhealthy attachment, but here I am, stuck in this little town. I had been looking into several exchange programs, browsing the web, looking to maybe even jump start college, when lo and behold the YES abroad program pops up on my screen.

What followed were perhaps the most hectic days of my life. It was a race against time as I filled out the lengthy application, because I wanted it to be perfect. I accidentally deleted my essays two times!!! I had perhaps eight days to fill out the application, in the midst of basketball practice, games, and school, but I worked hard at it, slaved away into the late hours of the night.  I finally submitted it at 2 am on the day it was due ( which was the following midnight I believe). Talk about a time crunch!

The next few weeks were busy. I had finals; I had tests; I had STATE basketball; I had volleyball club practices and day long tournaments. Amidst all of these busy things, my application lingered in the back of my mind, popping up at random moments to fill me with anticipation and excitement. If I was totally honest, too, I also doubted myself. I would go back and check out the application, look for spelling mistakes, grammatical errors. There wasn't anything I could do but wait. . .and wait.  . . . and wait.

And then, I was selected as a SEMI-FINALIST! When I read the email, I screamed. (I have recently discovered that when in extremely exciting situations and big accomplishments that I scream and run around like a little girl. :) I was going to Chevy Chase, MD, to participate in the IPSE!

The IPSE was incredible. Everyone was so friendly, so kind, so polished, so sophisticated, so intelligent, so fun! I felt like I could go up to anyone and strike up a conversation. Here we were, all wanting the same thing, all excited that we were there, all happy for the person beside us, and we were instant friends! I just had the best time, and I met people that I'll stay in touch with. It was just. . . I didn't want to leave! I just wanted to stay in Chevy Chase and stay with these people that I could empathize so much with.

But, all good things must end.

And then came the worst wait. I was literally on eggshells the entire time, bouncing up and down, checking my email, looking at the KL-YES abroad Facebook group. I analyzed my Group Evaluations and Interview a thousand times, trying to remember my exact words. My club volleyball team didn't even distract my focus on the pending scholarship, and sports usually clear my mind. I couldn't distract myself from how bad I wanted this.

April 12th, 2013 began as every other Friday. In my small town, because of low funds, we don't have school on Friday, but our teachers make it up by cramming our brains full of info from 8-4. As sensible as could be, I had filled out an application for YFU ( Youth for Understanding), and I had an interview that morning at ten thirty. YFU was my backup plan in case I didn't get this scholarship. The interview actually went well, and I went home feeling content. The rest of the day I lazed around, reading, doing a bit of homework, until suddenly my dad comes up to me, a few papers in his hand. He sits next to me on the couch, smiles a little, and then looks away. My stomach immediately drops to my toes when he doesn't give me the papers when I ask for them. Failure, failure, you didn't get it, races through my mind. He reads aloud, " Dear Savannah. . ." and pauses for an extremely long amount of time. By now I freaking out. . . until he finally hands me the papers and this is what I see:

Dear Savannah,

 
Congratulations!  We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected as a Finalist for a 2013-14 Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Abroad scholarship for study in India!
INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA!!! YES!!!

As noted before, I have discovered I go completely crazy when important things happen. I started running all around the house, screaming incoherently, babbling about India, and I was so excited that I started doing splits on the floor and sliding all over the place. I was so happy, delirious, exhilarated; this just means so much to me.

This is just. . . .incredible! I will spend my junior year abroad in India! India! My first choice country! This is so crazy, exciting, amazing! I am so grateful for this opportunity. I just. . . I can't use words to express how excited I am without using repetitive ones. I just want to say thank you, YES Abroad! Thank you so much!

But this story isn't over yet. I hope to continue this wonderful adventure, share with you my experiences and challenges that come with being a Student Ambassador.  From here on out, I will most likely undergo serious character growth. I will learn how the world really works, finally understand what it means, open my mind, and discover who I really am. I will be integrated into a culture completely foreign to my own, discover the similarities and differences that exist between us, and I will work towards making this world a better place.

And I will leave you now. . . . with a Harry Potter quote:

 " It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." -Albus Dumbledore

1 comment:

  1. I love the Harry Potter quote!!!!!!!!! Have an amazing time in India! I'm going to Turkey with YES next year, so I will see you in D.C.!

    ReplyDelete