Friday, September 6, 2013

Okay, Okay, I realize I'm terrible

All right!

I'm sorry!

I don't know how to tell you I'm sorry! The past couple months have been CRAZY! You have no idea. I'm terrible at blogging; I've just never really had the motivation for this. I mean, I'll probably look back and want to slap myself and say, " Savannah, you idiot, why didn't you blog," so I'm going to try really hard from now on to be. . . sort of regular. I guess. I don't know.

ANYWAY!

Onto my wonderful, crazy life!

I must say that I am falling more and more in love with this country every day. What most people don't realize is that India is NOT just about the Taj Mahal, the Red Fort, the other trendy, tourist destinations or the sarees that you idolize and glorify while in another country. India is truly a mixture of modern and ancient, blending these two factors into nearly every scene you encounter while in this country. Ancient is in the potholed roads that I travel everyday to school. Modern is in the smartphones that I see in many hands. Ancient is in the women traveling the road with huge pots balanced precariously on their heads. Modern is in the rush and zoom of crazy traffic, each car, truck, auto-rickshaw, bicycle rickshaw, pedestrian fending for themselves. Old technology mixes with new technology. It coexists side by side, pushing and shoving the other, but mostly existing harmoniously. Because it's life. You can see a half-naked child running to his mother in the slums while an expensive, sleek new car blurs by. You can see a women dressed in a trendy western outfit walk past an old women who is wearing an indigenous, yet brightly colored saree.

Anyway, I've done many things, been many places, and buried myself in school work. School has definitely been different. They have tracks, which I am unused to. There's the Science track and the Commerce track at my school. There's normally four ( Science, Commerce, Medical, and Humanities) but since my school didn't have the Humanities track, they made me my own little schedule. For two months, I have been taking Economics, Physical Education, English, Psychology, and Sculpture. Very, very easy classes. Except, perhaps, that Physical Education has a bit to much theory to my liking.

Also, if you ever go to India as an exchange student, you might want to be a little bit wary: they REALLY like to show off their exchange students. I swear, I've been thrust into more competitions in my life here than I've ever done in the United Sates. So far, I've done a spelling bee, a literary quiz, a knowledge quiz, and been signed up for countless ones in the future. It's not my fault! They don't even ask you; they tell you you are doing it. No choice, really, in the matter. They also will randomly have you called up on stage; should you have a fear of being randomly called up on stage, without any preparation, be warned. They will ask you to talk about what you did in Rakshabandhan, whether you thought Indian spellers are better than American spellers, or to tell a little bit about yourself. I have a fear of going up on stage unprepared, so this floored me completely. And it won't go away, either. So, should you do something for a special Hindu holiday or visit someplace, be expected to  talk about it on stage.

There was one really funny incidence in which I was walking in the hall, and this  teacher I don't even know comes up to me. She says, " How do you spell your name?" I tell her and make sure she's got it right. Then, as she's walking away, I ask her what she needs it for. She's like, " Oh, I'm putting you down for Model United Nations." Then walks away. Doesn't even ask me, just says that she's putting me down for it. Now, don't get me wrong, I've always wanted to participate in MUN, but I thought it was extremely funny how she went about it.

Anyway, I'm off! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Savannah!
    Loved reading your post! You are not terrible! You are a brave 16 year old doing an amazing thing so no slapping! I get updates from your mom at school so getting to read your blog was an "extra". We are missing you, as usual. Kt is sick today and would've loved to call and let you know, just in case you wanted to be "sick" with her!!
    Lots of love, Julie and Katie

    ReplyDelete